Below you’ll find some of the common questions we get asked about Sexology International—along with our honest answers. Our style isn’t right for everyone. We’ll tell you everything about our services and what’s involved so you can make the best decision for you.
What is Sexology International?
Our work, and this site, is devoted to creating a space that will help you and others find pleasure and cultivate acceptance, deep love and fierce intimacy. We hope in our heart of hearts that everyone who visits our site feels they have found a place they belong. It is important to us that the information we provide is explicitly inclusive and demonstrates acceptance and encouragement wherever one happens to be on their sensual and sexual path.
What is a Sexologist?
Sexology is the scientific study of human sexuality. The scientific study of sex and sexuality can be traced back at least to the classical Greek period in the Western world, and even earlier in the Eastern world. Throughout history, emphasis in sexological study has tended to focus on the outcomes of sex, rather than the experience of sexuality. Specific focal areas for the study of sexology have primarily prioritized human reproduction and sexual health as topics for learning and research. The study of love, sexual emotions, human relationships, human sexual response, criminal sexual behaviour, sexual function, sexual pleasure and fulfillment have been relatively recent endeavours in the scientific study of sexuality and ones Kelly and Jo have studied and will continue to study ad explore with you.
A sexologist is someone who has studied all areas of sex including anatomy, physiology, sexual development, sexual orientation, the dynamics of sexual relationships, as well as the mechanics of sexual contact/acts. A sexologist looks to other disciplines to understand human sexuality such as history, sociology, psychology, biology, gender studies, and more, in order to see how sex works in the context of social, cultural and religious environments.
A Certified Sexologist has credentials that qualify them to offer sex therapy, sex counseling, education, or sexological research and hold a postgraduate degree in their chosen field from an accredited or approved institution of higher learning. Requiring licenses to practice sex therapy and counseling.
Can I benefit from your services even if I do not have a particular sex or relationship problem?
Although common, not everybody comes to us with an urgent challenge, lots of people just want to talk through how they feel now, and come up with goals of how to move forward toward a common goal of feeling more empowered within their life. Single, or in a relationship, there’s always something to gain from education, personal development, and coaching.
What are the most common reasons people look to coaching?
People look to coaching as a resource for a variety of reasons. The following is a list of the most common topics that Kelly and Jo address:
- Pleasure seekers and those wishing to explore their inner sexual selves
- Discrepancy in sexual desire between partners
- Lack of sexual desire/or lack of desire within relationships
- Lack of sexual education or comfort in embracing ones sexuality
- Difficulty communicating with your partner(s) about sexual needs/desires
- Fallen into a rut/routine or bored sexually
- Problems getting or staying aroused or “turned on”
- Inability to Orgasm alone and/or with a partner
- Desire to explore and experiment but not quite sure where to begin
- Establishing an active sexual life after childbirth
- Want more adventure, spontaneity and playfulness
- Those wanting to discover a new-found sexual confidence
- Body image concerns interfering with sexual expression
- Sexual guilt and/or shame
- Confusion around sexual desires
- Wanting to talk with someone about your sexuality who can listen without judgment
- Blending of spiritual/religious moral beliefs with healthy expression of sexuality
- Unable to experience peak sexual pleasure, either currently or throughout your life
- Experiencing sexual dysfunction: rapid ejaculation, erectile difficulties, pelvic pain during intercourse
I do not live in the US or Canada, is that OK?
Yes, that’s perfectly okay. Our coaching clients are from all over the globe and all coaching sessions are via Skype, phone or e-mail.
Do you coach partners?
Yes, in addition to working with individuals, we do coach couples and intimate groups. However we request that you each have a single 50 minute coaching session first, followed by a coaching sessions together.
Is it possible to participate in 1:1 coaching with both Jo and Kelly together?
To maximize the time and attention each client needs (and deserves) Kelly and Jo take on a limited number of clients each year. Only when specifically requested, will they consider taking on 1:1 coaching clients together. Simply state in the comments section of the application form that you would prefer to work with both coaches.
*Please note: prices will increase if accepted to work with both coaches together, as opposed to working with an individual coach.
I have heard of sex body workers and sex surrogacy, what makes your approach different?
There is no physical or sexual contact between consultant and coach (Jo and Kelly) and client(s), nor will we observe and critique any sexual contact between client and partner(s). Consultations are strictly professional.
Are you able to diagnose mental illness or medical concerns?
As sexologists, relationship experts, psychotherapists and educators Kelly and Jo do not provide examination, diagnosis, care, service, diagnosis, assessment, or treatment of psychological disorders, medical or health conditions. If you need help, please contact a psychologist or family doctor in your area. see terms and conditions
How much time do I need to commit to The Academy?
It’s simple: the more you put into The Academy, the more you’ll get out of it. The work will go as deeply as you do.
This multimedia interactive course is designed to help you understand the value of intimate communication, how to excite yourself and your partner(s) sexually, build and sustain desire and attraction, and satisfy your cravings for great sex!
Other factors that will affect how much time you’ll need for The Academy are:
- Whether or not you choose to participate in homework
- Whether or not you choose to participate in our live “Office Hours” (these are recommended, but optional)
- Whether or not you participate in the comments and conversations in The Academy community (again, recommended, but optional)
- Whether or not you choose to participate in the live 8 week program or complete the Modules at your own pace, in your own time
- If you choose to go through the program live with us and fully participate in every aspect of the course (pre-course assignments, worksheets, live “Office Hours,” Q&A sessions, comments, conversations in the community, etc.), a very rough time estimate would be 5 hours per week.
However, if you simply want to digest the material and take a more “lite” approach to The Academy you’ll need approximately 3 hours per week.
*Please note that live “Office Hours” with Kelly and Jo only occur once per week. If you’re traveling during that time period, you will only have access to the call recordings and transcripts.
I have read books and participated in other programs and they did not do anything. How would these services be any different?
If you’re expecting Jo and Kelly, or anything else, to magically solve your problems, please do not sign-up. No program works unless YOU work.
Plus, we actually care that you explore and embrace your sexuality.
We put a tremendous amount of time and energy into all of our offerings. You need to match that energy. Success in working with us requires that you take consistent, focused action.
Do you offer payment options?
We sure do. You can either pay in full or choose our extended payment plan in monthly payments. If you choose the payment plan, your payments will be automatically charged on the same date of the month every month. If you are experiencing financial hardship please contact us to inquire about special payment plans outside of what is offered.
Please remember, if you are on our email list, you’ll be notified of our yearly scholarship—in which we hope you’ll participate.
What our Readers Are Saying
"Beautiful magazine! Experts provide food for further thought and strategies that you can apply immediately to your own lives."Fulfilled Client
“Jo & Kelly's honest and relatable demeanour when talking about sex and relationships make their material comfortable and extremely informative. Their extensive knowledge and passion for empowering individuals in their sexuality is clear."Happy Customer
"The Sexology International community provides ideas, tools & resources that empowers people to awaken their confidence and live a pleasure filled life."Satisfied Customer